Interesting facts about pigs
Pigs are probably the most misunderstood of all animals. Here are some interesting facts about pigs that few people are aware of:
Pigs are incredibly social, curious and highly-intelligent animals, who want to live just as much as humans do.
- Pigs communicate constantly with one another; more than 20 vocalizations have been identified that pigs use in different situations, from wooing mates to saying, “I’m hungry!”
- Pigs are clean animals. If given sufficient space, they will be careful not to soil the area where they sleep or eat.
- Sows like to build nests from their surrounding environment in order to provide shelter for their piglets.
- Newborn piglets learn to run to their mothers’ voices and to recognize their own names. Mother pigs sing to their young while nursing.
- Pigs have greater intelligence than dogs and even three-year-old humans.
- Pigs appear to have a good sense of direction and have found their way home over great distances.
- Adult pigs can run at speeds of up to 17 km per hour.
- Pigs like to bathe in water or mud to keep cool, and they actually prefer water to mud.
Pork is an excellent source of many vitamins and minerals, including thiamin, zinc, vitamin B12, vitamin B6, niacin, phosphorus, and iron.
- Pork is the world’s most popular type of meat.
Post Tag With : Free Range Pigs